1.8.14

Artist Interview. 5 minutes with La Flore et La Faune


I must confess that I have been a on a crazy blog hunt recently, gathering the blogs of illustrators and fashionistas that I love. And yesterday, magic happened! I found a lovely artist's blog, La Flore et La Faune and luckily, he was willing to share some of his art and passion with us all. Yeay!


I love simple pen sketched images. I love them even more when they have hints of colours in them. This is just what this Paris based illustrator is good at. He doesn't only draw out sketches, but he writes words of poetry (in French) against his work, adding a special touch and meaning to them.

Here's a short look in to his mind...

Excuse my english.

I'm from Paris and as you know french are not so good at foreign languages.
We're only good at food, wine and love. ;)




Describe how you ended up illustrating.

At first I wanted to be a film director or a novelist. And I took the habit of drawing my stories. And I realized it was a very cool way of inventing situations and characters. Less expensive and faster. More freedom. So I worked my style out.



Describe your illustrations.

Quirky.




I can walk hours under the sun to find my fav newspapers...



Which artists do you get inspired by?

First of all I LOVE drawings. More than painting. They fascinate me : the way Picasso draws a bird, or Giacometti a face, or Da Vinci a plant. It's a minimal kind of expression which is sometimes so powerful & so evocative. A simple line, a simple sketch can be fantastic. Actually I'm not inspired by precise artists, but by people I meet in real life : they give me inspiration. Their talk, their thoughts about life, death, love, sex, work, french fries, french kisses and the Universe. Their style, their haircut, their attitudes.

What media do you prefer to use to create your illustrations?

Less is more. I always use the same pen to draw : the Pilot Fineliner, and special painting pens for colors. I put them in a black leather pencil case.That's all.



What media do you usually avoid using? and why?

I avoid using graphics software because I don't know how to use them. I'm totally low-tech. And I'm very impatient. I take a lot of time to imagine my illustrations but when I'm drawing I'm focused. I like rock'n roll music when I draw.

If you could change anything in this world, what would it be, and why?

I'd give people more self confidence about their talents. I'm convinced if people could follow their true being, the world would be quite different. Less frustrations, less violence, less misunderstandings.


All of the images above are from the artist's blog, Flore et La Faune. Please visit and drop by his blog to see more of his amazing work and thoughts.

13 comments:

Caroline said...

He's SO talented. I love these illustrations. Thanks !

xoxo

la flore et la faune said...

dear Lucy, thanks for the interview. Dear english readers, you're very welcome on my blog. You'll find translations under the illustrations. Best.

Sharry said...

Oh this is lovely.
I love his work, it is really inspiring and unique.
thank you for featuring this. i love your blog.

daisychain said...

fantastic post!

yiqin; said...

The illustrations are so lovely!!!!

Leah said...

I love the artwork.

O'STYLE said...

Great talent!

Thank you dear for the comment!

Olga,

xoxo!

La Porta Màgica by Tatiana Supervia said...

Thank u for your visit, i see your blogg and its very interesting and sure i will come back again.

And sure Buster is my knight in shiny armour.

If you dont mind ill link to you.

Un beso

E said...

AH! I love that you interviewed him! His drawings are so amusing and I love his style! OH and a Giacometti fan... I guess I shouldn't be surprised, lol

Kat said...

Talented! Nice find.

UnoCosa said...

very wonderful - i visited his blog a bit ago and glad to found more info about him through your interview :-) xoox

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

His illustrations are killer!

camille said...

I am also a huge fan of la faune since the beginning, it's really nice to read about him, thanks for this interview! (and in the same time I discovered your blog which is very beautiful)